By Alan J. Kohn
Conus is the biggest genus of animals within the sea, taking place during the world's tropical and subtropical oceans and contributing considerably to marine biodiversity. The shells of those marine mollusks are prized for his or her impressive kind and outstanding good looks. The neurotoxic venoms they produce—injected via a hole, harpoon-like teeth into prey animals which are then paralyzed and swallowed whole—have a number of pharmaceutical purposes, from painkillers to antidepressants. This fantastically illustrated e-book identifies fifty three legitimate species of the southeastern usa and the Caribbean, a sector that helps a various yet taxonomically tough workforce of Conus. Introductory chapters hide the evolution and phylogeny of the genus, and notes on technique are supplied. special species bills describe key identity good points, taxonomy, distribution, ecology, toxicology, existence historical past, and evolutionary relationships. The publication comprises greater than 2,100 images of shells on 109 fantastic colour plates; greater than a hundred extra pictures, many depicting stay animals in colour; and 35 colour distribution maps.
- Identifies fifty three legitimate species—the first reassessment of western Atlantic Conus in additional than seventy years
- Features greater than 2,100 images of shells on 109 colour plates
- Blends the normal shell-character method of identity with state of the art shell and radular enamel morphometrics and molecular genetic analyses
- Includes colour pictures of dwell animals in addition to colour distribution maps
Read or Download "Conus" of the Southeastern United States and Caribbean PDF
Similar zoology books
This finished but concise e-book offers an intensive and whole advisor to each point of dealing with the peer assessment procedure for medical journals. beforehand, little details has been on hand on how this crucial side of the magazine publishing strategy could be carried out adequately.
Foreword by way of Walter J. Freeman. The induction of unconsciousness utilizing anesthetic brokers demonstrates that the cerebral cortex can function in very varied behavioral modes: alert and responsive vs. unaware and quiescent. however the states of wakefulness and sleep usually are not single-neuron properties---they grow to be bulk homes of cooperating populations of neurons, with the switchover among states being just like the actual swap of section saw whilst water freezes or ice melts.
Spannende Fragen aus Alltag und gegenwärtiger Forschung sind der Ausgangspunkt für einen Überblick über die Tier- und Humanphysiologie. Die Autoren führen grundlegend in die Physiologie von Mensch und Tier ein. Alle physiologischen Themen werden einführend und verständlich behandelt und didaktisch durchdacht illustriert.
Bioelectric Recording recommendations half B: Electroencephalography and Human mind Potentials is a part of the multivolume sequence tools in Physiological Psychology. The sequence starts with the therapy of bioelectric recording suggestions in 3 volumes (Parts A, B, and C). half B offers with electroencephalography (EEG) and peripheral recording of mind occasions in guy.
- Noise-Induced Hearing Loss: Scientific Advances: 40 (Springer Handbook of Auditory Research)
- Physiology and Electrochemistry of Nerve Fibers (Biophysics and bioengineering series)
- Animal Metropolis: Histories of Human-Animal Relations in Urban Canada (Canadian History and Environment)
- Pulmonary Function (Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology)
Additional resources for "Conus" of the Southeastern United States and Caribbean
"Conus" of the Southeastern United States and Caribbean by Alan J. Kohn