By Michael S. Schneider
But it really is No Secret
Michael Schneider leads us on a excellent, lavishly illustrated trip alongside the numbers one via ten to discover the mathematical ideas made obvious in plant life, shells, crystals, vegetation, and the human physique, expressed within the symbolic language of folks sayings and fairy stories, delusion and faith, paintings and structure. it is a new view of arithmetic, now not the only we discovered in school yet a entire advisor to the styles that recur in the course of the universe and underlie human affairs. A Beginner's advisor to developing, the Universe exhibits you:
- Why cans, pizza, and manhole covers are round.
- Why one and were not thought of numbers via the traditional Greeks.
- Why squares appear so usually in goddess paintings and board games.
- What estate makes the spiral the main frequent form in nature, from embryos and hair curls to hurricanes and galaxies.
- How the human physique stocks the layout of a bean plant and the sunlight approach.
- How a snowflake is like Stonehenge, and a beehive like a calendar.
- How our ten palms carry the secrets and techniques of either a lobster and a cathedral.
- And even more.
Read or Download A Beginner's Guide to Constructing the Universe: The Mathematical Archetypes of Nature, Art, and Science PDF
Best number theory books
This publication positive factors contemporary advancements in a swiftly becoming region on the interface of higher-dimensional birational geometry and mathematics geometry. It specializes in the geometry of areas of rational curves, with an emphasis on functions to mathematics questions. Classically, mathematics is the research of rational or indispensable suggestions of diophantine equations and geometry is the examine of traces and conics.
This booklet, in honor of Hari M. Srivastava, discusses crucial advancements in mathematical study in numerous difficulties. It comprises thirty-five articles, written via eminent scientists from the foreign mathematical group, together with either learn and survey works. matters coated contain analytic quantity thought, combinatorics, precise sequences of numbers and polynomials, analytic inequalities and functions, approximation of features and quadratures, orthogonality and precise and intricate services.
This quantity is an outgrowth of the LMS Durham Symposium on L-functions, held in July 1989. The symposium consisted of numerous brief classes, geared toward proposing rigorous yet non-technical expositions of the most recent learn parts, and a couple of person lectures on particular themes. The individuals are all impressive figures within the region of algebraic quantity conception and this quantity should be of lasting worth to scholars and researchers operating within the region.
This ebook deals an account of the classical conception of quadratic residues and non-residues with the objective of utilizing that conception as a lens by which to view the improvement of a few of the elemental tools hired in sleek uncomplicated, algebraic, and analytic quantity idea. the 1st 3 chapters current a few uncomplicated proof and the historical past of quadratic residues and non-residues and speak about a variety of proofs of the legislations of Quadratic Reciprosity intensive, with an emphasis at the six proofs that Gauss released.
- Die Welt der Primzahlen: Geheimnisse und Rekorde (Springer-Lehrbuch) (German Edition)
- Von den natürlichen Zahlen zu den Quaternionen: Basiswissen Zahlbereiche und Algebra (German Edition)
- Topological Algebras with Involution (North-Holland Mathematics Studies)
- Numberama: Recreational Number Theory in the School System
Extra info for A Beginner's Guide to Constructing the Universe: The Mathematical Archetypes of Nature, Art, and Science
A Beginner's Guide to Constructing the Universe: The Mathematical Archetypes of Nature, Art, and Science by Michael S. Schneider